[Freebangfont-devel] Re: +AFs-Freebangfont-devel+AF0- RE: FREE Bangla So

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: +AFs-Freebangfont-devel+AF0- RE: FREE Bangla Software Avro Keyboard - NewVersion Available
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:24:17 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

> /"I think I know about this, and I'm pretty sure the person who posted
> this
> violated the agreement MS provided this font to him under. I doubt MS is
> going to prosecute, but Vrindra is definitely not publicly available
> now, and
> I doubt that it's ever going to be released under a license that permits
> redistribution anyway."/
> //
> ---What do you suggest me? Should I remove this font? May this font
> create problem on me in the future? I need your suggestion.....

It's really very simple. The Vrindra font is the property of Microsoft.
Unless the owner has given you permission to distribute it (either via
personal communication or via a license agreement), you have no legal
right to distribute someone else's property.

Whether you will get into trouble if you keep distributing it depends on
Microsoft, I have no idea what they will do.

About the Khanda ta issue: This is nothing new, the Unicode consortium
has recommended encoding khanda ta as ta + halanta + ZWJ for a long
time. I think we (the FBF developers) were a bit confused about this
until a while back. But I think Likhan now has the correct lookup (have
you checked ?), and Sagar should as well. Mukti, unfortunately has been
a bit problematic, mainly because its creator is no longer very active.
We will have to do something about that.

Deepayan