Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: [indic] Re: On the Bengali Proposal

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: [indic] Re: On the Bengali Proposal
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:42:15 +0530

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 21:49, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> On Saturday 20 September 2003 11:14, you wrote:
> > Hi Depayan
> >
> > I do not wish to continue this conversation on the Indic Unicode list. It
> > has become off topic to the subject title and has gone on long enough I
> > think. Also I want to discuss MS's USP, which is of topic for that list.
>
> I agree.
>
> > One point I must respond to is this. Vowel signs do not need to be rendered
> > on a dotted circle. I think it is the fact that Microsoft's implementation
> > did this first that a general misconception has occurred.
> >
> > In fact, Microsoft's USP provides the facility of entering stand alone
> > vowel signs by entering a sequence such as SPACE ZWJ IKAAR etc. Unicode
> > does not endorse this scheme because they say that entering just IKAAR on
> > its own should do the same thing.
>
> Hmm, that indeed was the source of my confusion.
>
> To FBF-devel: Maybe we should try to convince the pango and Qt people to omit
> the dotted circle rendering.

hmmm..
that is a good idea (tm).
however, we need to make sure that there is an error when ppl use the
wrong sequence with ekaar/ikaar
For example, Yudit implements such a scheme (you can write standalone
vowel signs, and even surprise surprise surprise!! standalone yafala),
and you cannot distinguish between

ekaar la | la ekaar
ikaar la | la ikaar

Also, another possible combination which may create troubles is

a akaar (in place of aa)

I think that's why "Paul is not implementing garbage typing"
;-)

-sdg-