[Freebangfont-devel] Suggestions, announcements, etc.

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Suggestions, announcements, etc.
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:03:51 +0530

Hello to all,
We are having quite some progress in the project, and congratulations to all
who are involved. Great going guys!!
I have a few suggestions for the developers

A. Regarding English Glyphs
===========================

If you want English glyphs for your font, you may take a look at the url:
http://www.nongnu.org/freefonts/
This project has some quite good fonts, and since they are GPL'ed, they can
be (re)used easily :).

B. A standardised set of Open Type tables.

I was wondering if we could have a standardised set of Open Type tables. This
means,
that we can just change the glyphs in pfaedit and have fonts with new looks.
This can be a big time saver. We can convert Barda's fonts quickly into OT in
this way.

C. Regarding the Bengali Glyphs
===============================

Michael was going through some of the fonts, and he reported to me that the
fonts
were good, but some more optimisation could be done (Likhan's size can be
reduced
by around 25%, for instance).
Michael - waiting for you to speak on this :).

D. Regarding Documentation
==========================

I was wondering if we could have a common set of documents on installing the
fonts
on different platforms. This can be hosted on the site, and the README, etc
could refer
to the URL. This will save a lot of work in the documentation side.

E. Pre-made packages.
=====================

Can we have some RPMs for the major release of the fonts??
Also, we need to have some publicity regarding the fonts - for all those
fancy utf-8 encoded webpages are nothing if you don't have the fonts installed.
I am doing as far as I can do - regular freshmeat anouncements, etc. Also,
I did some R&D on google.com - the page rank of the site is not very high -
something
needs to be done about this.

..well, that's all for now.
For the next few days, I will be late in replying, etc, for I have my exams
very soon :S.

-Happy Hacking-
-sdg-

:
####[ GNU/Linux One Stanza Tip (LOST) ]#######################

Sub : State codes output by ps command               LOST #317

o D   uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)
o R   runnable (on run queue)
o S   sleeping
o T   traced or stopped
o Z   a defunct ("zombie") process