fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] Course announcement: functional dummy

From: Teemu Leinonen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] Course announcement: functional dummy
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:50:51 +0300

Michel Isac Metzger wrote:
Hummm... (sorry, back in this thread) what-if blogs
became the Fle3 desktop? In this case Fle3 do the core
functions (knowledge building and jamming) and blogs
mediate the inside-outside course.

This sounds interesting idea but this is not the need we try to meet with the course announcement -feature. The need to have the course announcement page is very simple: once in a while teacher(s) need one way "broadcasting" medium to guide student (announcements, ToDo, events).

However, the possibility to mediate the inside-outside flow of the ideas and artefacts generated in knowledge building and jamming is very interesting idea.

Should we think about some kind of "library" in which the users of Fle3 could add the results of their work made inside Fle3? When the content would be put to the library, they would be freely available to anyone interested in.

For instance, when creating the knowledge type sets one could define that when the note is some specific type (e.g. summary), the note will be automatically made "public" in the library of the site.

Artifacts in
construction are inside fle and mature artifacts are
outside (in this case blogs became students
eportfolios, see more:
http://www.electronicportfolios.org)

Hmm.. I think the electronic portfolio is already one way include to the Fle3. It is not obvious, but actually one may use some folder of the WebTop as a portfolio and add there all the results he or she want to show as her results for others.

To make the portfolio more obvious in Fle3 we could maybe consider if it makes sense to have on the WebTop certain "portfolio"-folder with some specific features. For instance the owner of the portfolio could decide if it is open for anyone interested in (all you need to know is the URL) or set some "guest key word" to access in it. This way the user could give the URL (with the key) for teacher or possible employer for evaluation.

        - Teemu