Re: [Enigma-devel] Bug on OS X El Capitan

From: Sidney Markowitz
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Bug on OS X El Capitan
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:50:58 +1300

Daniel Heck wrote on 20/10/15 10:34 AM:
> Would it make sense to update the official OS X release on enigma-game.org
> <http://enigma-game.org> with the patched version? Or would this potentially
> break Enigma for users of older versions of OS X? The alternative would be to
> wait for an updated version of SDL_image and release fixed binaries then.

I wouldn't count on an updated version of SDL_image for SDL 1.2 coming out
just to fix a bug that only shows up in the newest version of Mac OS, as SDL 2
is now the current version. Unless you have heard from SDL developers that
they are interested in fixing it.

I can try out the patched version of Enigma on Mavericks and Yosemite machines
tonight. If we can get feedback from other Mac users who can give it a try,
especially under versions older than Mavericks, and everyone finds that it
works, then we might as well update the official release to use the old
SDL_image. It does seem that none of the bug fixes that were done in SDL_image
versions 1.2.11 and 1.2.12 affect Enigma on Mac, and the SDL_image framework
is bundled with Enigma.app so it would not affect anything else running on the
Mac. Let's get verification that it does work on all the older Mac OS versions
we support and then I'll make an image that includes SDL_image 1.2.10.

I still think it would be good to keep working toward using SDL 2 for the
version of Enigma.

 Sidney