Re: [Enigma-devel] Maemo Port for Nokia Internet Tablets

From: Pipeline
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Maemo Port for Nokia Internet Tablets
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:32:38 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald Lamprecht" <address@hidden>
To: "Pipeline" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Tacvek" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:29 PM

Not sure if this will roll up correctly, but here goes. There are responses here to both Ronald and Tacvec.

We do like ports of Enigma to new platforms. A good communication between the various developer helps to align the releases. E.g. your version numbering of Enigma 1.2.4 may confuse users that use Enigma on other platforms. I would have prefered if the Enigma version that a Maemo port is based on would be part of the Maemo version number.

Yes i've starting doing this for other ports and agree this is needed. I'll make sure to align version numbers in future builds.

Well, with that userbase it does indeed sound like we will
want to merge in the port, so that it remains up to date.
Do you have any sort of CVS or SVN repository containing the latest
development? (As a C# programmer, i would not be surprised if you
did not, as version control systems are less common on Windows
than they should be)

Tacvek guessed correctly, most of my (windows) code is in windows based source control and i have not established any version control for linux ports other than tar.gz uploads to http server.

Rather than introduce noise to enigma dev signal, i managed to get the latest trunk of 1.10 (compatibility branch?). First off, wow! The performance improvements are great. For example Enigma 1 - Security Guards levels was unplayable (probably 1 fps) on 1.01 source, however now it is as smooth as i could hope for. I have noticed similar smoothness in gameplay throughout all the levels. Great work!

I reapplied the most crucial changes which are very simple now that i dont even need to remove world collision animations.

There are two areas i needed to modify, the SDL_MOUSEMOVE event logic in order to respond correctly to touchscreen input, and the hardcoded key bindings. Maemo has hardware buttons which are equivalent to ENTER, ESC, F4, F6, F7, and F8.

Heres my first attempt at a diff file, which i manually cleaned up so i hope its machine readable, otherwise its human readable. Perhaps you can integrate the global variables through some sort of build configuration.

ftp://wardenclyffetower.com/wwwroot/MaemoFiles/source/enigma_maemo_mods.diff

The upcoming Enigma 1.10 release is much faster than 1.0*. Especially levels with many actors will speedup by a factor of 5 to 10! I would expect nearly all levels to run on current cpu's without any code changes.

As I mentioned above I am more than happy with the speed! This does in fact seem to make 100% of the levels playable. This will require extensive playtesting which i am more than happy to help out with :)

Is there any timeframe in mind for when an official 1.10 release will occur? Also is it considered bad practice for downstream developers to release builds based on svn developmental builds? If this varies by project, what is enigma dev policy on this? Since the performance improvements are so great it will be tempting to get it out in the 'wild'.

So thanks again Enigma Devs (especially Ronald Lamprecht)
for the game... truly - First Class -

Don't forget Daniel Heck (The original author, although no longer the primary developer).

Indeed - and all the other developers and contributers!

Yes, thanks to Daniel Heck and all the level designers... there is much personality in the game and level design, and it really draws you in to see what nefarious devices are in store for poor blackball next :)

Indeed, altough the mouse movement patch would probably still apply
in new revisions. I suspect it may even apply genererally, as
other computers have similar interfaces (touch screens for example).

Amazing to see versatility of linux wherein a single (worldwide)
managed codebase could support such a broad range of devices.

Indeed. This is probably one of the best features of the GNU/Linux system. Portability has always been a major concern in the development, resulting in tools
like the autoconf/automake tools, and generally highly portable code.

I hope the simple changes i submitted above are of use upstream. It would allow maemo compatibility via basic touchscreen and 4:3 use on maemo. Till's tilt modifications and or true widescreen modifications would be separate and in addition to something like this.

Thanks again, let me know if you need anything else.
Dave-