Re: [Enigma-devel] Lua 5.1 "luaL_error" problems on Windows

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Lua 5.1 "luaL_error" problems on Windows
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:03:43 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald Lamprecht" <address@hidden>
To: "Daniel Heck" <address@hidden>; "Tacvek" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:35 AM

Hi,

Daniel Heck schrieb:
It would also explain the consistancy. The quickest way to tell is to
use --disable-nls.

Btw. Could somebody check in the fixes for --disable-nls? In one file the output of _() is assigned to a char* when a "const char*" is what is needed. The adding the const keyword in two places should work, I know const_cast<char*> works but it is a c++ string, which is not supposed to be mutable. In othe other place, somebody accidentally used gettext() trather than _(). Both are trivial fixes.

I tested that. Besides a few small tweaks that are needed to make it
compile
using with that, it worked.
The resulting exe also crashed.

So my next guess is an uncaught C++ exception.

A few weeks ago I managed to compile Enigma using the Visual Studio Express. I have not checked in all the changes that were necessary, but I can try to reproduce this error to see if it is actually a mingw bug. I will be back in Germany on Saturday, so maybe I can take a look at it during the weekend.

This crosscheck would be helpfull.

Meanwhile I succeeded in running Enigma on Windows under the control of
gdb (still just with the commandline interface).

Well, I found out that the functions that use lua_tostring will normally crash if they emit an error.

I cannot figure out what is special about en_get_kind.

Other functions with similar signatures such as en_get_pos seem to accept nil for the object witout crashing.

My best guess is it has something to do with the fact that en_get_kind normally pushes a string, but how would the program know that, since the "return 0" after the luaL_error does not aloow the program to get to that point in the function.