Re: [Enigma-devel] Lua 5.1 "luaL_error" problems on Windows

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Lua 5.1 "luaL_error" problems on Windows
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:17:42 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald Lamprecht" <address@hidden>
To: "Tacvek" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Andreas Lochmann" <address@hidden>; "Daniel Heck" <address@hidden>; "enigma-devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 2:25 PM

Hi,

Tacvek wrote:
Some functions supplied by lua.cc crash on calling "luaL_error":

- enigma.GetAttrib with non existing attribute or pseudo-attribute "kind".
- enigma.GetKind(nil)

These crashes occur only on Windows but not on Linux. They are
independent of Lua 5.1 and 5.1.1.

The error handling does work in general on Windows, as incorrect calls like

enigma.SetItem(7,9, nil)

are reported correctly.

Please find attached a sample level with the different errors commented
out. Activate one after the other for testing.

Any ideas?

Hmm...
I can confirm the crash, but my current setup does not support debugging, because I cross-compile. I could do a direct compilation, and see what gdb thinks, but It would be a bit of a pain, so I will hold off on doing so unless nobody else can come up with an explanation.

Looks rather like a Mingw problem:

Trunk r118 (last Lua 4 revision) behaves identical to the current Lua 5.1 trunk revision when compiled with the same Mingw gcc 3.4.2. 20040916-1 version.

Mingw did change the longjump methods after 3.4.2 and a lot of problems were reported due to principal longjump-Windows incompatibilities. Has anyone experience with candidate 3.4.5?

- Ronald

Yes, that was the version that did not append '.exe' to the names of executables.
I'm still not sure if that is intentional.
Since my devel box is a virtual machine, it is easy to test this.

Tested. The 'enigma' executable generated also crashes. So 3.4.5 does not seem to be a cure
for this problem.

I find it interesting that this is a clean crash, with the program exiting gracefully, and therefore no
Doctor Watson reports are generated.