Re: [Enigma-devel] Lua 5.1 "luaL_error" problems on Windows

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Lua 5.1 "luaL_error" problems on Windows
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:01:48 +0200

HI,

Tacvek wrote:
Damnit.
The bug seems like it must be elsewhere. Yet that backtrace really strongly implied an error in the compiler's exception handler. I mean that backtrace definately showed a crash in that second of the code, and the way gdb seemed to skip over Enigma's code,
also seemed to fit.

The "end" of gdb stepping at lobject.c:166 is another "problem" - I succedded to stepi at that line. After the function is called I can step again through the code until the world.cc throw statement in either case. (No idea why step doesn't gain back control automatically).

I can stepi into the throw code and the fault occurs somewhere in the gcc internal libraries. It is always about 3000 stepi from the throw code, but not at a deterministic position! An interersting fact is that always some hundred stepi before the crash the sound from the Enimga st-switch is emitted - obviously by another thread. Still no idea how exceptions, threads and a special selection of luaL_error calls crash the system.

Now instead of silently crashing, I get this messagebox:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
---------------------------
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Enigma\enigma.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

OK

I guess that is progress.

Damn Windows!

Please take the SDL parachute into account that catches fatal signals! I guess it tries to switch back the screen resolution and to give back the system the control over the grabbed mouse before terminating the app in case of errors. You can experiment with the wizard mode that should switch off the parachute.

- Ronald