Re: [Enigma-devel] Sokoban-levels not allways solvable

From: Ralf Westram
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Sokoban-levels not allways solvable
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:25:59 +0100

>>> Are levels in
>>> sokoban-levelpack meant to be allways solvable, or only sometimes solvable?
>> They are meant to be
>> always solvable, but I recognized 2 days ago, that they aren't.
>>> There are some levels which are not allways solvable, ... because
>> Do you remember their names? If so, please post them.
> It's quite hard to list all affected levels. There are some levels which
> can be quite easy - or much harder but not impossible to solve depending
> on where the oxyd-stones are positioned.

I think that's fine.

In general the solvable-problem is handled like follows:

- Some levels use lasers to avoid these problems
- In some levels it is part of the solution to figure out which
oxyd-stone opens at last (e.g. Microban 93)
- All other levels either
        * are always solvable,
        * have restriction information (see below) or
        * need restriction, but I forgot to define it.

Restriction information is defined in the lua files by different types
of floors:

        * an ' ' means: all oxyds allowed
        * an 'x' means: don't place any oxyds here
        * an '_' means: don't place LAST oxyd here

There remains a small probability that the level is unsolvable nevertheless.
If I feel it's too high, I used lasers for that level.

> I can try to make somekind of list about which levels are affected, or
> might be affected.

Too much work, but thank you for the offer. But if you or somebody else stumbles
over one level, which is not always solveable, please drop me a note.

I've already fixed the following levels:
        Microban 58, 63, 104, 106, 113

Ralf

--
If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.
(Lazarus Long)