Re: Is this proper time format?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Is this proper time format?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 20:35:12 -0700

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>>  To assist project planning, TODO items can be labeled with a date
>> -and/or a time.  The specially formatted string carrying the date and
>> +and/or a time for purposes like a timestamp on an event, a deadline
>> +for a task, or clocking time on a task as described in later sections
>> +of this chapter.  The specially formatted string carrying the date and
>>  time information is called a /timestamp/ in Org mode.
>
> IMHO, this is just creating confusion.
> Remember that this manual/guide is going to be read by people who are
> not yet familiar with Org mode terminology. What is "timestamp on an
> event"? What if you put a timestamp on a non-event? What is "clocking
> time"?

Ok.  I did use "like". ;-)

I don't want to get too in the weeds (because I don't know it all), so
how about:

... purposes like when an event happens, a deadline for a task, or
tracking time spent on a task ...

>>    A simple timestamp just assigns a date/time to an item.  This is
>>    just like writing down an appointment or event in a paper agenda.
>> +  There can be multiple timestamps in an event.
>
> Why event? What about tasks? Can just use more general "heading" or "entry".

Good point.  The paragraph already used 'item' -- would that be better?

New patch file attached:

Change log:
Doc change to explain timestamps better

doc/org-guide.org (Dates and Times): purpose of timestamp + examples
doc/org-manual.org (Dates and Times): purpose of timestamp + examples

David Masterson