Re: [POLL] [BUG] Inverse behavior from \ <space> [9.6.4 (release_9.6.4-1

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [POLL] [BUG] Inverse behavior from \ <space> [9.6.4 (release_9.6.4-1-g76cf21 @ /Users/johnw/.emacs.d/lisp/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 10:12:33 +0000

John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org> writes:

> Since the documentation also mentions that space means “any tag”, I guess now
> it’s a design question: Should <space> mean “no tags” or “any tag”? I feel
> like it should mean “no tag” only because you also use space to clear all tags
> in the agenda after pressing “:”.
>
> If the decision is “desired behavior”, then the muscle memory needed is
> ‘\ - <space>‘ rather than ‘\ <space>‘. Still feels odd for space to mean
> anything rather than nothing, though… I mean, space is empty, right? :)

Yeah. I checked the manual, and we have SPC being "any tag at all" since
the very beginning of the git history:

  #+findex: org-agenda-filter-by-tag
  Filter the agenda view with respect to a tag.  You are prompted for
  a tag selection letter; {{{kbd(SPC)}}} means any tag at all.

Upon seeing the manual, I am inclined to keep the current behaviour,
unless we have other voices supporting the change.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,