Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 22:29:31 +0700

On 20/01/2023 15:11, Tim Cross wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

Tim, I am trying to say that any meeting either face to face or on-line may be
associated
with arbitrary primary timezone.

and what you are saying is helpful how? In what way does what you are
sayhing help address my use case?

Tim, are you trying to convince me that for Org it is enough to have timestamps either as local time <2023-02-20 15:00> or as UTC something like <2023-02-20 05:00Z> and ability to specify arbitrary timezone instead of UTC is redundant?

I believe that in the case of support of optional arbitrary timezone in Org files there is no point of distinction between you cases when all participants meet face to face (<2023-02-20 15:00> or <2023-02-20 15:00@Australia/Sydney>) or it is online meeting scheduled as <2023-02-20 09:00@Etc/UTC>.

UI might offer you to choose time in your timezone and to select another
timezone for
storage. For your convenience it still may be presented to you in your local
timezone even
it is stored in UTC or some other one.

and I have said as much. So, how exactly is your contribution assisting
with the use case I've outlined?

I had a hope to assure you that unifying the cases you are considering as distinct should not make user experience worse.

Local event and UTC is meaningful for UI to enter or adjust timestamp where such cases should be easier to select than arbitrary timezone. For parsing, generating agenda, or export a more abstract model can be used.