Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 16:02:18 +0300

* Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> [2023-01-31 11:16]:
> On 31/01/2023 14:04, Jean Louis wrote:
> > I have given facts, and references with the sole intention to help in
> > understanding so that Org programmers do not start relying on UTC
> > offset alone, as that is not how other programs work.
>
> From my point of view at the beginning you were promoting that Org must use
> purely UTC timestamps just because PostgreSQL recommends timestamptz
> type.

I am not promoter of "UTC timestamps", you have mixed me maybe with
some other person. Last time you misquoted me.

That PostgreSQL recommends time stamp with time zone is only in so far
related to Org as for program design decisions.

There is plethore of other programs using time, just look in any
calendar and underground.

I do not promote anything, I give suggestions to developers to make
decisions that will not impact people.

My proposal is not that what you describe, but I will repeat it here
for clarity:

- Timestamps may be left how they are now with small addition

- Time stamp could get time zone (I never said UTC, neither UTC
  offset) -- I would myself never suggest to people to place
  timestamps in time zone, but to simply use the local system time
  zone. Case to use time stamps with time zone would be then when such
  time stamp is isolated in the whole Org file and as such, the task
  has to be sent to other people, shared, or published. This is finely
  grained.

- Heading could have time zone property, then all time stamps in that
  heading would easily be calculated for sharing purposes.

- If not heading, then user could set up file #+TIMEZONE property, if
  such is or should be different to system time zone

- Without any settings in Org, Org may use system time zone to
  calculate future time difference.

And I said that is in Emacs Lisp similar to logical OR:

timestamp-time-zone OR heading-time-zone OR file-time-zone OR system-time-ZONE

So please do not misinterpret and reiterate what I never proposed or suggested.

> Now you are insisting that every timestamp must have timezone with
> rules describing DST and other transitions.

Absolutely not, I cannot find myself in your description.

> In both cases you are doing it with excessive passion.

You are free to describe it as you wish. And?

> Currently you are arguing with people who have already agreed that
> location-based timezones are important, e.g. Tim and Thomas. I am in
> doubts if it is helpful to someone.

I do not argue with people nothing as because of their name or
position, as people are not object of discussion.

Neither my last writing was related to "location based time zone" but
to UTC offset.

All my writing is directed to Org developers to get access to
references before making any decisions how to calculate times.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman