Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:48:07 +0000

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> OK, I just give up.
>
> I don't understand why my very simple point seems so hard for anyone to
> grasp and why everyone seems so focused on the booking and scheduling of
> meetings with outhers. This was never in the scope of the very simple
> issue I want solved.

FYI, I feel like you two and some other people in the thread are talking
about the same thing and simply misunderstand the terms used in
each-other's explanations.

> All that remains is to work out a good interface to make it easy to set
> the correct timestamp type (i.e. in local time or UTC) based on the
> requirements for that meeting (which is determined by whether the
> meeting has any participants in different time zones). How sophisticated
> we want ot make this is undecided. My simple sugestion wa that have the
> commands which insert timestamps use the universal argument - when
> called with the universal argument, set the timestamp using UTC and when
> it isn't, set it as it is now (or set it with the local TZ added, based
> on user preference).

Universal argument is already taken to insert time in addition to date.

I instead suggest allowing `org-read-date' provide completion interface
for TZ once user presses @ (for example) in the date prompt.
When the user press Z (for example), @UTC is inserted and the user can
simply add +XX or -XX as needed to complete the UTC offset.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,