Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:35:26 +0000

On Friday, 20 Jan 2023 at 16:39, Tim Cross wrote:
> My simple sugestion wa that have the commands which insert timestamps
> use the universal argument -when called with the universal argument,
> set the timestamp using UTC and when it isn't, set it as it is now (or
> set it with the local TZ added, based on user preference).

+1

I travel a lot; I have meetings arranged with others (online) where I
don't know where I will be.  I simply want to be able to have meeting
times set as UTC and let org tell me when it is depending on which time
zone I am in (as I always update the timezone on my laptop when I change
timezones).

Getting caught up with what happens at the transition to daylight
savings etc. is just a distraction, in my view.  Being able to specify
UTC timestamps and have them displayed in local time will be an
incredible step forward for time related management in org.  Does it
solve everything?  No.  But the current situation is a mess for timezone
related issues and this enhancement would be very welcome.

Thank you,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.6-201-gb58fba in Emacs 30.0.50