Re: Is the cascading logic of outlines a feature, or a design bug?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Is the cascading logic of outlines a feature, or a design bug?
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 08:21:28 +0100

On 2022-12-26, at 19:37, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 05:36:06PM +0000, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> abq@bitrot.link writes:
>>
>> > So, that addresses the cost. What was the benefit?
>>
>> For example, export. Things like LaTeX or Markdown or ODT do not support
>> document section continuation.

Markdown being a very poor example, since it is basically a format for
first drafts (and it's bad even at that).

> Here's the LaTeX perspective, which perhaps illustrates that "print",
> our grandmother, didn't necessarily think hierarchically:
>

> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/174651/latex-end-section-or-subsection
>
> (Spoiler: LaTeX does as print and Org, as Ihor says -- and different
> to XML).
>
> At first it seems surprising that there are those two perspectives
> and there's no "right" or "wrong", as the OP seems to assume.

FWIW, I think LaTeX also got this "wrong" (and perhaps surprisingly, XML
"right";-)).  AFAIR, ConTeXt (which I haven't used for several years, so
I might be mistaken) does "TRT" here.

OTOH, I agree that it looks surprising, and we mathematicians (and CS/IT
people) would like to have a nice, tree-like structure, but I suspect
that not allowing to continue the parent section after the subsection
ends is a wise decision.  I highly suspect this would be very confusing
for 99% people, which might be precisely the benefit the OP is asking
about.

Just my 2 cents,

--
Marcin Borkowski