Re: Is the cascading logic of outlines a feature, or a design bug?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Is the cascading logic of outlines a feature, or a design bug?
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 10:12:39 +0000

abq@bitrot.link writes:

> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#closing-outline-sections answers
> the question:
> "Can I close an outline section without starting a new section?"
>
> The answer given is:
> "no. Org-mode adheres to the cascading logic of outlines, in which a
> section is closed only by another section that occupies an equal or
> greater level."
>
> Is that limitation a feature, or a design bug?

A "bug" implies that it is something wrong.
Could you please elaborate?

> Likewise, is the inability to close an org-mode outline section without
> starting a new section really a feature?

It is not a bug. It is not a feature. Just a design decision. With pros
and cons. Doing the opposite would also have pros and cons.

I suggest you to elaborate about what exact properties of outlines you
are missing.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,