Re: Is the cascading logic of outlines a feature, or a design bug?

From: abq
Subject: Re: Is the cascading logic of outlines a feature, or a design bug?
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 17:03:07 +0000

On 2022-12-26 12:38, Max Nikulin wrote:
You may guess that this item appeared in FAQ after numerous
discussions on this mailing list. Search its archive for details.

The most close feature is inline tasks, there are other structures
like #+begin_something/#+end_something blocks and :drawer:...:end:
that have closing marker.

Some Org syntax limitations are imposed to be able efficiently
determine current context using regexp searches. So "** Heading" lines
must be escaped in comments, nested identical #+begin_block structures
are not allowed. Another point is treating Org files with syntax
errors.

When I searched prior to posting, the only info I could find was how to work around the restriction. But my question isn't how to work around it; my question is, what is its purpose?

It doesn't affect regexp search efficiency.