Re: Is the cascading logic of outlines a feature, or a design bug?

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Is the cascading logic of outlines a feature, or a design bug?
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 23:02:12 +0700

On 27/12/2022 00:03, abq@bitrot.link wrote:
When I searched prior to posting, the only info I could find was how to work around the restriction. But my question isn't how to work around it; my question is, what is its purpose?

I have an impression that I saw messages explaining that the real problem is to implement the feature consistently and to avoid too much code for handling it in various functions. I do not have specific links. Reading such discussion I would pay more attention to messages from Carsten, Bastien, Nicolas.

It doesn't affect regexp search efficiency.

Regexps would be more complex, sometimes several iterations would be required. You may underestimate amount of code that should be adapted for this feature.

In general, I do not mind to have such feature e.g. to have an overview headings with comments between deep dive notes. However if I desperately need it, I will write a custom unfolding function (for tagged subheadings or for drawers). I am unsure that benefits outweigh additional complexity and performance penalty.

This topic belongs to a several feature requests that pop up regularly and fade with almost no outcome (intra-word emphasis, merged cells in tables).