Re: Getting X selection reliably (Re: idea for capture anywhere in x)

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Getting X selection reliably (Re: idea for capture anywhere in x)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 04:59:58 +0000

> not sure i am following everything but it seems a popup that goes away
> after a very short period of time shows adequately that first contact
> was made with emacs.  then, including the captured text shows that
> there isn't another issue?

Let me elaborate.

What I have in mind is org-capture-before-finalize-hook.
Functions in this hook is executed at the end of the capture process
before the capture buffer is killed. You may reasonably assume that the
capture is successful if the hook is run.

Functions in org-capture-before-finalize-hook have access to the
contents of the capture buffer text. So, one can call `start-process' to
run notify-send shell command and put the actual captured text into the
notification (displayed briefly or for longer time according to the
switches passed to notify-send).

When notify-send displays notification, you can quickly eyeball if the
captured text is what you intended to capture without opening Emacs.

Hope it is more clear.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,