Re: idea for capture anywhere in x

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:55:27 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> [2022-10-12 14:37]:
> I was mostly answering about X website to eww website part. org-protocol
> is a way to run arbitrary Elisp when Emacs is called with an arbitrary
> data (not necessarily file).

Sounds sensational, while it is not. According to (info "(org)
Protocols") it says that data has to conform to specific URL
specification. It is a way to standardize input to Org, rather then to
general Emacs and it was meant to be used from browsers. Then the
Emacs Lisp is run according to settings in Emacs which have to match
the Org Protocol URLs, right?

Even though it was made rather for browser, it may be used in many
ways with or without browser.

Though:

Emacs has in any case the capability to accept information in various
ways and then run we could say really arbitrary Emacs lisp, as the
command line options allow it. How data is sent from external programs
may be decided, coded, prepared by such programs.

The freedom shall not be forgotten. How I see it, people may think
that Org Protocol is the only way to add information to Emacs.

Neither it is not the only way to add Org information or notes to Org
or any other type of the file.

As Org headings begin with stars, one can easily concatenate various
information from various sources and convert it to Org file.

Let us say from places.sqlite where Firefox and derivate browsers'
bookmarks are held, with one liner it may be converted to Org
headings. It is not as sophisticated.

sqlite3 places.sqlite "select '** ' || title || char(10) || char(10) || title
|| ': ' || url || char(10) || char(10) FROM 'moz_places';"

It will give the output like:

** Libervia

Libervia: https://salut-a-toi.org/presentation#demo

** Libervia

Libervia: https://www.libervia.org/

** Libervia register new account

Libervia register new account:
https://www.libervia.org/register?redirect_url=%2F

** flatpak invalid compressed data at DuckDuckGo

flatpak invalid compressed data at DuckDuckGo:
https://html.duckduckgo.com/html/?q=flatpak+invalid+compressed+data

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns