Re: Getting X selection reliably (Re: idea for capture anywhere in x)

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Getting X selection reliably (Re: idea for capture anywhere in x)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 10:21:21 +0700

On 29/10/2022 06:07, Samuel Wales wrote:
i am still lost in this and it will take me a while.
..
it is not a top priority for me at this time as long as the ff
org-capture extension works

Samuel, feel free came back with this question when you will have enough spare time and motivation to continue. Currently I am unsure with which pieces of the puzzle you still have difficulties.

I would separate the following cases:
- Emacs
- Application having dedicated plugins (Firefox works if I got it right)
- Other applications

As to Emacs, perhaps emacs-help mailing list is the appropriate place to ask how to add global mouse action. E.g. is it possible to add a button to modeline? If I am not mistaken, Emacs-28 has an option to enable right click menu similar to other applications.

For other applications, since you have a requirement of maximized application window and purely mouse action, I am unsure if you managed to configure fluxbox to add a custom menu entry accessible in such layout. By default only window and toolbar menu are available.

A tiny custom application displaying a tray icon might be a way to initiate capture through mouse click. Unsure if Emacs can add such icon.