Re: [HELP] Fwd: Org format as a new standard source format for GNU manua

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [HELP] Fwd: Org format as a new standard source format for GNU manuals
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 18:27:45 +0700

On 01/10/2022 18:01, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

I do not remember if the following idea has been discussed. What about
extending source blocks and inline source snippets to allow :results ast
header argument that caused executing during export only and expects
s-expression with AST branch that is included into parsed tree without
intermediate Org markup representation? Then a special org-babel backend
may be created to support new markup type. I am unsure however at which
stage of export source blocks are executed, maybe too early to implement
the idea. The advantage is that no extension of Org syntax is necessary.

This will not help with new extendable markup elements. No new org
element types can be created this way. We still need generalized inline
markup object.

This can help with escaping syntax and spaces in verbatim.

It should be enough to create nested "code" or "verbatim" inline objects with some attribute like :class file, :class var, :class dfn, etc. Export backend may interpret this attribute to create proper texinfo commands or more precisely choose HTML element.

I do recall you mentioned this idea in one of the earlier threads.
https://orgmode.org/list/sokqa3$e8s$1@ciao.gmane.io
Max Nikulin (2021-12-06)
Subject: Raw Org AST snippets for "impossible" markup

It was using links, not source blocks. Typing AST directly is a kind of last resort. Now I am writing about some higher level markup with a parser that allows nested element and uses just a few special characters to denote commands. It is a kind of trade-off between brevity of lightweight markup and flexibility of more verbose language with ability to more precisely express intentions.