Re: [HELP] Fwd: Org format as a new standard source format for GNU manua

From: Rick Lupton
Subject: Re: [HELP] Fwd: Org format as a new standard source format for GNU manuals
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 07:56:03 +0100

Hi Ihor and all,

I wonder if you have seen Pollen’s approach to this?
https://docs.racket-lang.org/pollen/pollen-command-syntax.html

There are two separate ideas used there which seemed related to this
discussion. I’m not sure if they are useful in the org context.

1. The use of a special character (◊ by default) which introduces a
command/inline special block. I don’t know if this would be worth considering
as an alternative to @ (which also seems reasonable) to avoid ambiguity with
other syntax. As the link above discusses it’s harder to type but there are
solutions.

2. Making it easy to define custom functions that produce org syntax. A bit
like perhaps Max's suggestion to use source blocks, but instead of writing
AST-like structure directly in the document where you want it, you can call a
previously defined function to build it. This is similar to org macros but I’m
not sure if they are so flexible as a lisp function. There is also the option
to choose between passing arguments as lisp (in [ ]) or as markup (in { })