Re: [HELP] Fwd: Org format as a new standard source format for GNU manua

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [HELP] Fwd: Org format as a new standard source format for GNU manuals
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 21:02:11 +0800

"Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> I like the idea of inline special blocks.  Given that we have recently
> introduced [cite:...] as new syntax, could we generalise this and allow
> any xxx in [xxx:...]?

This syntax will make it difficult to pass optional arguments, like in
@abbr{FSF, Free Software Foundation}. Also, escaping "]" will be tricky.

> With this, the example Max gave from texinfo:
>
>>     By convention, the dynamic library for @var{language} is
>>     @code{libtree-@{sitter@}-@var{"language"}.@var{ext}}, where @var{ext} is
>> the
>>     system-specific extension for dynamic libraries.
>
> could look like
>
>    By convention, the dynamic library for [var:language] is
>    [code:libtree-{sitter}-[var:"language"].[var:ext]], where [var:ext]
>    is the system-specific extension for dynamic libraries.

I am thinking about something like

_name{<contents>}
_name{{<contents>}}  <--- extra {} is added as needed for escaping
_name[:key value ...]{<contents>}

The syntax idea is to follow the relevance between [[links]] and
[cite:citations]
but here we have src_name[...]{...} and _name[...]{<contents>} instead.

    By convention, the dynamic library for _var{language} is
    _code{{libtree-{sitter}-_var{"language"}._var{ext}}}, where _var{ext}
    is the system-specific extension for dynamic libraries.

We may even follow Max's idea about AST and make it so that
_bold{contents} will be parsed just like *contents*.

Yep, @{ and @} are the escaped { and } in Texinfo.

--
Ihor Radchenko aka yantar92,
Org mode contributor,