Re: the GNU bug tracker, use it or have something similar? Gmane might b

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: the GNU bug tracker, use it or have something similar? Gmane might block attachments in bug reports
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 23:59:43 +0700

On 26/10/2021 02:21, Uwe Brauer wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:
I am unsure to which list you are going to send a copy. Emacs-orgmode
is hosted on gnu.org just as other emacs lists.

To bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
That one I can access via debbugs-org

That function seems a good compromise: it does not require to be
subscribed to the list, and it does not suffer from gmane's problem.

I may be wrong in some minor details, but Emacs bug tracker (among other GNU projects) resides on https://debbugs.gnu.org/ Its main interface though is email, but ...@debbugs.gnu.org, not bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org. The latter is just a broadcast notification channel. I do not think, messages sent directly to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org are forwarded to debbugs.gnu.org. Sometimes emacs-orgmode is added as Cc address for bugs tracked by debbugs. In such cases it is better to reply directly to mail address associated with the bug, not to the mail list, otherwise the response will not appear in the debbugs archive.

When I call debbugs-org I do not see my bug, are you saying I should?

You may see your bug on https://updates.orgmode.org/ that is independent tracker, see e.g. 87wnmtb7dd.fsf@gnu.org/">https://list.orgmode.org/87wnmtb7dd.fsf@gnu.org/
However someone should confirm that it is a real bug.

https://list.orgmode.org/87v9kavoms.fsf@gnu.org/
Bastien. Re: issue tracker? Mon, 01 Jun 2020 16:36:59 +0200
I'd like to keep this mailing list as the central place to discuss
everything about Org, including bug reports.

I do not know what are the reasons why Bastien prefers to develop "Woof!" instead of relying on much more powerful debbugs. As to me, for some reason it requires a bit more time and cognitive efforts to realize current status of a debbugs issue in comparison to the most of other trackers. In addition, I do not like that GNU's debbugs instance exposes contents to general purpose search engines in a form that makes it hard to provide relevant search results and descriptive summary snippet (due to some performance reasons). So bugs are often rates much lower than reddit threads and stackexchange questions.

Well one thing I learned is to stick to emacs -Q strictly, but I would
like to know whether debbugs-org could access this bug?

org-submit-bug-report may act better by adding a warning that user may expose some private information to public and by suggesting -Q if state size is above some threshold.

-Q is mentioned in almost all sources related to bug reports, e.g.
https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html (info "(org) Feedback")

debbugs-org is an interface to debbugs, but Org mostly uses mail list directly and updates.orgmode.org, so the only way to get a bug in debbugs-org is to send it to debbugs. It is neither forbidden nor encouraged.