Re: the GNU bug tracker, use it or have something similar? Gmane might b

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: the GNU bug tracker, use it or have something similar? Gmane might block attachments in bug reports
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 21:15:35 +0200

>>> "MN" == Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:

> On 25/10/2021 21:21, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> org-submit-bug-report sends an email to the org-mode mailing list.
>> It
>> turns out, that if you attach a file and later display that message on
>> gmane, as I do in order to keep my email traffic in moderate numbers,
>> then gmane might block that attachment.

Thanks for your detailed answer

> I do not see your attachment on news.gmane.io as well, but it is a
> rare problem. Mostly attachments are received correctly. Moreover, a
> part of your message is truncated. I am unsure whether there is some
> limit for message size or parser was confused by excessive white
> spaces (unsure whether the message was fully conformant). Anyway, size
> of "current state" part tells that it is unlikely *minimal* example
> that you tested with "emacs -Q". Even the part received by gmane has
> size of almost 300k.

Right, it was not produced my emacs -Q my bad. Sorry.

>> Now GNU emacs has a bug tracker what can be accessed via debbugs-org and
>> there this problem does not appear.
>> The org mailing list does have a similar bug tracker which is a bit
>> of
>> problem with such a workflow.

> Attachment is available on
> 87a6j02qf0.fsf@mat.ucm.es/">https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87a6j02qf0.fsf@mat.ucm.es/
> so I do not see any problem. Likely nobody explicitly confirmed your
> bug, so it did not appear on https://updates.orgmode.org/ On the other
> hand, a patch appeared quickly enough, so reasons to complain are
> unclear for me.

That is not entirely true, Kevin, said he could not see my attachment
and quickly produced a minimal example himself, that confirmed my bug.
87pmrupu0s.fsf@gmail.com/">https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87pmrupu0s.fsf@gmail.com/

(His message was the reason to bring up that subject)

>> Of course an alternative would be to CC the bug report to the GNU emacs
>> list since org mode is also in the GNU emacs tree, but I am not sure
>> whether this is a good idea.

> I am unsure to which list you are going to send a copy. Emacs-orgmode
> is hosted on gnu.org just as other emacs lists.

bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

That one I can access via debbugs-org

That function seems a good compromise: it does not require to be
subscribed to the list, and it does not suffer from gmane's problem.

When I call debbugs-org I do not see my bug, are you saying I should?

> Besides lists.gnu.org
> it is archived on public inbox instances and these archives were able
> to parse your message. For issues filed through debbugs.gnu.org
> latency is often higher that for ones sent directly to this list.

> Are there evidences that it was not a rare case when an attachments
> from a messages generated by org-submit-bug-report was lost by gmane
> and change of workflow is really required?

Well one thing I learned is to stick to emacs -Q strictly, but I would
like to know whether debbugs-org could access this bug?