Re: the GNU bug tracker, use it or have something similar? Gmane might b

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: the GNU bug tracker, use it or have something similar? Gmane might block attachments in bug reports
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 08:55:19 +1100

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> org-submit-bug-report sends an email to the org-mode mailing list. It
> turns out, that if you attach a file and later display that message on
> gmane, as I do in order to keep my email traffic in moderate numbers,
> then gmane might block that attachment.
>
> Now GNU emacs has a bug tracker what can be accessed via debbugs-org and
> there this problem does not appear.
>
> The org mailing list does have a similar bug tracker which is a bit of
> problem with such a workflow.
>
> Of course an alternative would be to CC the bug report to the GNU emacs
> list since org mode is also in the GNU emacs tree, but I am not sure
> whether this is a good idea.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm not sure which list you are referring to by "BNU emacs list" - do
you mean the emacs-devel list or the emacs bug list (same as
report-emacs-bug)? In any case, I don't think you should report bugs on
emacs-devel (when people do, they are typically asked to submit a bug
report. With respect to sending it to the emacs bug list (or using
report-emacs-bug), I think you should probably only do this when your
reporting a bug with the org mode bundled with emacs (just my opinion,
not policy of course). In any rate, any bug reported to the emacs bug
list just sits in the emacs bug tracker until someone sends it on to
this list and it gets added to the org list of bugs on orgmode.org. .