Re: Syntax Proposal: Multi-line Table Cells/Text Wrapping

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Syntax Proposal: Multi-line Table Cells/Text Wrapping
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 10:22:20 +0100

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> My post was rather a warning that "multi-line" will mean
> different things to different people.

Yes I agree. It is not the same as how a table is represented in Org and
how it should be rendered when exported to some typographic format like
(let's say) LaTeX. I think also 'multi-line' is a very imprecise concept
for Org tables. If we are talking about a cell whose content is a
paragraph, then for LaTeX it is no problem, with the help of the
tabularx package (in these contexts it is the best solution).

The problem here (IMHO) is a problem of discomfort of edit within Org,
when the cell has a lot of text and when we are under the 'tyranny' of
the single line. Luckily it is not a very extended issue, and the tables
in Org are much easier to view and edit than in LaTeX code, when it
comes to simple cells. What happens is that the LaTeX's `tabular(x)'
environment encompasses many more (typographic) contexts than the
concept of `table' in Org. It is a translation problem between Org and
LaTeX and vice versa...

Best regards,

Juan Manuel