Re: Release Org 9.4.2

From: Lennart C. Karssen
Subject: Re: Release Org 9.4.2
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 15:27:18 +0100

On 16-12-2020 19:41, Tim Cross wrote:

> Github is not an option here. The problem is, github encourages the use
> of proprietary, non-free software, which conflicts with the GNU's
> primary goal of software freedom. As Org mode is a GNU project, it
> cannot use Github in any fashion which would encourage the use of github
> interfaces that require/encourage the use of non-free software, which
> unfortunately, key parts of their web UI does.

I'm not an expert in web technologies and their licenses, but given that
Debian, KDE and Gnome use Gitlab [1,2] this Github alternative may be an
option to consider too. The open core of Gitlab is licensed under the
MIT license [1] (which may or may not be acceptable for this community...).

I personally use Gitlab both via the web interface and in Emacs via
Magit's forge [4]. So far, this works well for my daily workflow. I
guess the 'young ones' using Github would be equally happy with Gitlab.

My two cents,

Lennart.

[1] https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/open-source/
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/public