Re: Release Org 9.4.2

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: Release Org 9.4.2
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 16:13:53 +0100

> On Wednesday, 16 Dec 2020 at 13:04, Gustav Wikström wrote:
>> But to be fair, the collaboration features of GitHub surely would be a
>> BIG net positive if the goal is to attract contributions and gain a
>> bigger mindshare.
>
> Not necessarily.  Some of us dislike web based tools intensely, in fact
> anything that does not work well in Emacs ;-).
>
> In practice, I will not participate in projects that, for instance, use
> slack or discourse or ... Requiring the use of github for interaction
> would lead to a reduction in the (albeit rather small) contributions I
> make to this project.  A mailing list (or nntp) plus git is perfect for
> my working methods.

But even if a project is hosted on GitHub, you can still interact with
it just via Emacs, it is still Git after all.

One project I have made minor contributions to is EasyBuild, a framework
for managing the building and installation of (mainly) scientific
software, which is hosted on GitHub:

  https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild

However, I can interact with it via Magit, and even if I don't use
Emacs, the project has command-line tools which allow the creation of a
pull request without the me having to know anything about GitHub or even
git:

https://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Integration_with_GitHub.html#submitting-pull-requests-new-pr

Obviously the EasyBuild people have put quite a lot of work into making
this possible and it is mainly to allow people to contribute
self-contained "recipes" for building particular pieces of software,
rather than work on the main code of the framework.

To be honest, last time I tried, responding to comments on pull-requests
didn't work so well via Emacs, so unfortunately I ended up having to
using the web-interface.

But on the other hand, they also have a mailing list, so there is
something for everyone ;-)

Cheers,

Loris