Re: Release Org 9.4.2

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: Release Org 9.4.2
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 22:12:13 +0100

On 15/12/2020 14:58, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 20:49, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
>>> I like testing Emacs on the trunk and I ‘git pull’ and ‘make bootstrap’
>>> daily and use it without any external packages. This is just to make
>>> sure that any external package is not the cause for what appears to be
>>> an Emacs bug.
>>>
>>> I can certainly add latest Org by adding it to the package-archives.
>>
>> Or you could track org development from git just as you are tracking
>> Emacs.  That's what I do: any time I build the most recent Emacs (maybe
>> every 2-3 weeks), I also build org.
>
> May be that I am not explaining it well. Let me put it in a question
> format. It is possible that this has been discussed and I appologise for
> my ignorance.
>
> My question is/are: (1) Why Org is developed outside Emacs, given that
> it is a core/built-in package. (2) Are there other packages that follow
> the same process?

AFAIK also cc-mode is developed in a dedicate repository.

>From an Emacs development point of view there is the desire to move more
packages that are now included in the core to ELPA and assemble Emacs
releases from these. This will allow packages to have independent
releases and users to update them more frequently than the pace of Emacs
releases. In this process, moving more packages to separate git
repositories would be natural. Thus, the idea would be remove the need
for syncing the org and cc-mode codebases to the Emacs repository rather
than moving the development of these packages to the Emacs git.

Cheers,
Dan