Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 09:12:53 +0100

On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 05:17:19PM -0800, Ken Mankoff wrote:

> To all who argue that Org is too tightly coupled to Emacs to
> consider working with it outside of Emacs, I point to GitHub. The
> fact that GitHub natively renders Org files "well enough" is a huge
> benefit to those of us who use Org. It is also useful for gaining
> new users (assuming more users is a good thing).

I don't mind that at all. Consider though how few of Org's abilities
you can use in that context. Headlines, basic text formatting, etc is
fine. It's easy to interpret, and well standardized by now.

The issue with implementing additional parsers outside of Emacs is the
overhead of exciting high level features like Babel, Exports,
spreadsheet, agenda, etc. Those would be very difficult to
reimplement.

Using Org as a replacement for basic Markdown on sites looks like it's
already been done successfully.