Re: Bug: headline folding broken by whitespace

From: Richard Kim
Subject: Re: Bug: headline folding broken by whitespace
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 00:25:36 -0800

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Russell Adams writes:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 01:58:25PM -0400, Kyle Meyer wrote:
>>> As I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, my guess is that Russell was
>>> using your example as is, rather than adding the space on the line
>>> (where X is below).
>>
>> No. I added a space, and even used highlight-regexp to confirm all
>> spaces.
>>
>> It did not occur for me.
>
> Well, then I'm out of guesses.
>
> In any case, for those who can trigger the issue (using the example from
> this thread as well as the examples from the related threads) on
> ee3c3b554 up through 47bf6005b (as I can, with a vanilla Emacs 27.1),
> e8070d71a should resolve it.

I cannot trigger the problem on emacs 27.1 when it was launched with -q.
However I can trigger the issue on emacs 27.1 when spacemacs is used.
This is using latest org-mode package which I built from latest git
files.

The problem seems to be due in part to org-cycle-show-empty-lines which
is one of the functions in org-cycle-hook.  I say this based on two
the observations that the problem goes away if either of these two
things are done:

1. Remove org-cycle-show-empty-lines from org-cycle-hook.

2. Set org-cycle-separator-lines (whose default value is 2) to some
   large value, e.g., 5.

As far as I can tell the values of org-cycle-hook and
org-cycle-separator-lines are the same whether spacemacs is used or not.
Yet the problem is seen only on spacemacs. So it appears that some other
feature is used within spacemacs which interferes with
org-cycle-show-empty-lines. I have not been able to figure this out,
because there are just too many org related features enabled or
customized within spacemacs.