Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 09:37:41 +0100

On 02/11/2020 00:10, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

> Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net> writes:
>> Maybe the standardization should cover only the "static" parts of Org
>> (ie no table formulas, no babel, no agenda, no exporters, etc). However,
>> in this case, what is left is little more of a markup language with an
>> editor that allows sections folding. You can have this on top of pretty
>> much any markup language using Emacs' outline-minor-mode.
>
> It could become stronger competition for asciidoc by being available in
> more places.

Why does Org need to compete with asciidoc? I don't see any advantage in
fighting with anyone for market share.

> Having an acceptance criterion for “supports basic org-mode
> presentation” and “can edit org-files without breaking editing in
> org-mode” could help adoption.

Acceptance criterion for what? Adoption of what?

It seems to me that some see a the adoption of a simplified version of
the Org markup language outside Emacs and the org-mode implementation as
something desirable. However, I don't see what the Org community would
gain from that.

> That would be the only part I’d really expect from standardization:
> There would be a clear-cut point when a tool could claim compatibility
> with org level N or by components (i.e. basic presentation, code-blocks,
> …).
>
> Having org-files parsed as html on a VCS-infopage is pretty nice.

As explained many times now, you don't a formal specification for this:
the specification is the org-mode implementation itself.

However, I will not discourage anyone from working on some form of
standardization, other than pointing out that IMO it is an exercise with
very limited usefulness, impact and future.

Cheers,
Dan