Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 10:57:46 +0100

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 05:17:19PM -0800, Ken Mankoff wrote:
>>
>> To all who argue that Org is too tightly coupled to Emacs to
>> consider working with it outside of Emacs, I point to GitHub. The
>> fact that GitHub natively renders Org files "well enough" is a huge
>> benefit to those of us who use Org. It is also useful for gaining
>> new users (assuming more users is a good thing).
>
> I don't mind that at all. Consider though how few of Org's abilities
> you can use in that context. Headlines, basic text formatting, etc is
> fine. It's easy to interpret, and well standardized by now.
>
> The issue with implementing additional parsers outside of Emacs is the
> overhead of exciting high level features like Babel, Exports,
> spreadsheet, agenda, etc. Those would be very difficult to
> reimplement.

For these it would suffice for me if the parsers did not break the
features. For example if a table cannot be rendered as table, I want to
see it as plain text. Maybe the parser could hide @@latex:@@ blocks in
html presentation, but they must be shown when editing …

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein