Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 20:34:13 +0300

* Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> [2020-11-11 20:17]:
> 2020-11-11 Jean Louis wrote:
> > * Maxim Nikulin [2020-11-10 19:31]:

> > > Please, check that you have at least updated tmux before applying such
> > > "safe" handler: https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2020/11/05/3
> > > The
> > > news are too recent to not mention the link in such context.
> > >
> > > The sour story is that it is unsafe to feed non-trusted files directly to
> > > terminal. A filter against control sequences is required.
> >
> > Is there anyway to disable control sequences? Than cat can be aliased.
>
> We were kidding.
>
> You do not need a terminal if you do not need control sequences. They plays
> the role of interface to allow line (or full screen) editing that is why
> control sequences is the essence of terminals. I suppose you would get tired
> almost immediately having to type everything strictly sequential without
> ability to remove even the last character. Some terminals allows to disable
> particular features, e.g. setting of title in xterm. But there are still a
> lot of rather basic capabilities.

I know what you mean. I did not express myself very specific. What I
meant is to alias cat to something else that specifically turns off
control sequences.

Like alias cat='sequence off; cat' something like that

Somebody already mentioned there is cat -v to show nonprinting
characters with notation ^- and M- so that may be the solution and I
may be wrong there.

I am often using cat to view files and for some remote files I have to
put attention.