Re: [O] Stable releases

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [O] Stable releases
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:40:09 -0500

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 07:36:00PM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> the main reason why 8.3 was not as "stable" as it should have been is
> that I've been releasing it too quickly, after having been inactive
> way too long.
>
> It's kind of a miracle that Org development could continue without an
> active "official" maintainer for so long, and we owe a lot to Nicolas
> and other contributors for this.

Bastien,

As a Org user since 2006 I've watched and appreciated how much time
and effort yourself and Carsten have put into maintainership. This
significant commitment brings about the following question:

Is Org large enough that it would benefit from being broken into more
pieces?

For instance a stable core that includes only the major mode itself,
which you continue to maintain. This defines the file syntax and
includes core features which require little to no external programs or
libraries.

Then could you break out the exporters, babel, and many of the other
sub-features into "plugins" that could be maintained separately by
others, and they depend back to the core version?

My impression has been that the core Org functionality has been stable
for quite a while, and the org ecosystem grows by leaps and bounds as
new users expand the incredibly flexible syntax to work for their use
case.

Could we reduce the amount of maintenance to the core if we separate
the rapidly changing plugins to separate projects?

Sorry if this has been hashed before, but I felt it appropriate to
ask.

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden