Re: [O] Agenda in MobileOrg for Android

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Agenda in MobileOrg for Android
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 17:06:26 -0500

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Matthew Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm one of the maintainers of MobileOrg for Android.  We've worked
> really hard to try to implement as many of the features of org-mode as we
> can and make it comfortable to use for the majority of people.  A couple of
> points:
>
> - Originally we were just storing the org files and parsing those on demand
> instead of using a database.   This proved extremely cumbersome when we
> wanted to add more features, and it really did not scale well when people
> had very large org files.  We made a decision a while ago to switch to a
> database almost exclusively for this reason, but there were a lot of other
> smaller reasons that also made it worthwhile.
>
> - The reason we do syncing the way that we do is to fit into org-mode's
> org-mobile-* concept.  Keeping multiple sets of plain text files in sync
> with emacs in the loop is no simple task.  The org-mobile-* functions were
> already defined and well used when I started writing the Android port of
> MobileOrg.  It may be suboptimal but currently it is the best and easiest
> (from the development side) way to keep a remote device and an instance of
> emacs in sync.  I'm actually not even sure if the org-mobile-* routines are
> even maintained anymore.  The synchronization problem is not as easy as just
> overwriting the files, however.

I posted this suggestion at the github site:
- https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues/63#issuecomment-11391116

I think syncing over git, especially while piggybacking on the merge
driver that was developed to help deal with Org syntax, might be
exceptional. I can't use Dropbox since my org files at work contain
confidential information and don't particularly enjoy fiddling with
apache/WebDAV setup, so git and automagically knowing where to put
updates from the device would be fantastic.

> - If you have issues and you don't tell us then we have no way of helping
> you and the problem might not go away.  We try to stay on top of
> showstopping issues for our users (we have an email address and a bug
> tracker linked to in the app store) unfortunately some folks just leave a 1
> star review and uninstall and never contact us.

Agreed, and thanks for saying so. I try not to do this and while I
don't particularly enjoy pestering you on github all the time... still
choose to do so :)

Thanks for commenting over here!
John