Re: [O] converting people to Emacs and org-mode

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: [O] converting people to Emacs and org-mode
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 11:42:36 -0700

Please let me know if you have any problems with the ikiwiki plugin or any feature requests.  I haven't been too active with it lately, but I'm still around. :)

Cheers,
Chris

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Loyall, David <address@hidden> wrote:
> Subject: Re: [O] converting people to Emacs and org-mode
[snip]
> Perhaps the web incarnations of org could help here too.

I plan to bring attention to Emacs by publishing a wiki on our intranet.

ikiwiki[1] is a simple perl based wiki compiler.  You maintain a tree of text documents in VCS, compile them into a network of linked HTML documents on demand (or on commit via a hook) and publish them on any http server (or whatever).

Ikiwiki has an exporter framework that invokes different tools to export (or compile) different file formats.  For example, it is trivial to configure it to render foo.lisp and bar.c as foo.lisp.html and bar.c.html, which contain pretty renderings of the code.

There is an org-mode plugin[2] for ikiwiki that I am experimenting with.  It invokes an Emacs session to call the org exporter.

Like most wikis, ikiwiki also allows users to create and edit content via http.  (Being perl, ikiwiki uses (modern) CGI.)  The interface is a simple HTML text area.

I intend to allow users to alter .org files via ikiwiki's web interface and have ikiwiki run them through the org exporter after each save (which is also a VCS commit).

When users start to feel limited by the textbox, I'll suggest that they use Emacs and grant them direct file access to the VCS that stores all the .org files. (git in my case.)

Wish me luck. :)

Incidentally, I'd find an org-mode vs. Microsoft OneNote feature comparison matrix useful.  Anybody got that?

Cheers,
--Dave

[1] http://ikiwiki.info/
[2] https://github.com/chrismgray/ikiwiki-org-plugin