Re: [O] converting people to Emacs and org-mode

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] converting people to Emacs and org-mode
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:43:07 +0200

* 42 147 <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello mailing list,

Hi!

> The question is the title: have you been able to convert many people to
> Emacs / org-mode?

I am not quite sure how many people actually switched to
Emacs/Org-mode. However, I have seen many open mouths by showing
simply the basic (tables, babel, ...)[1].

This heavily depends on the background of the person (programmer,
manager, ...).

I recognised that I got very cool reactions on Memacs[2] which
enriches my agenda with so much great stuff. With Memacs, I am able
to tell quite exactly what happened when and I can correlate tasks
with web pages visited, phone calls done, and so forth. However, I
got the feeling that people really do want to have such an
environment (because of the advantages of its featureset) but most
of them are afraid of the set-up process and the learning curve.
Not everybody wants (or is able) to invest time to learn
Emacs/Org-mode.

Last autumn, I had the pleasure to conduct a 12h-workshop at our
university with a bunch of very interested people. Everybody added
his/her own requirements and the feedback was quite good. I guess
that they all switched to Org-mode.

Next week, there is an event called Grazer Linuxtage[3] which is the
largest open source event in Austria. Last year, I presented
Org-mode using [1]. This year, I am planning to concentrate on
workflows[4]. I will ask the audience to tell me workflow examples
they are coping with in daily life and show them, how to accomplish
this using Org-mode (or give pointers to features I did not try by
myself). Bring your own workflow is my motto.

Opportunities like this are great to get people in touch with
Emacs/Org-mode. Two years ago, somebody shortly presented Org-mode
basics during a Python talk. This was my introduction to this great
tool :-)

  1.
https://github.com/novoid/org-mode-workshop/blob/master/featureshow/org-mode-teaser.org
  2. see signature below
  3. http://linuxtage.at (German)
  4. http://glt13-programm.linuxtage.at/events/161.de.html
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github