Re: jinx

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: jinx
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 22:11:09 +0300

> From: Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  m.eliachevitch@posteo.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 20:33:02 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Another feature of jinx is the ability to skip some buffer text, e.g.,
> > relying on font-lock faces or user-defined regexps to identify the
> > parts that should be skipped.  We have similar features:
> > spell-checking of comments and strings, but if that is not enough, we
> > could extend these capabilities in ispell and flyspell by simple
> > enough additions.
>
> Somewhat off-topic, but it would be great if ispell and flyspell could
> use the same logic for skipping portions of buffer text.

Please submit patches to do that, it shouldn't be hard.

(I wonder why the built-in TeX support in the spell-checker doesn't do
this job, it's supposed to be adequate, and all Emacs needs to do is
to tell the speller it is working on TeX text.  So I don't even
understand why we need to skip something on our own in these cases.)