Re: jinx

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: jinx
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 20:33:02 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Another feature of jinx is the ability to skip some buffer text, e.g.,
> relying on font-lock faces or user-defined regexps to identify the
> parts that should be skipped.  We have similar features:
> spell-checking of comments and strings, but if that is not enough, we
> could extend these capabilities in ispell and flyspell by simple
> enough additions.

Somewhat off-topic, but it would be great if ispell and flyspell could
use the same logic for skipping portions of buffer text.  Take for
example (La)TeX mode: ispell uses `ispell-tex-skip-alists' and flyspell
uses `flyspell-tex-command-regexp' (which is not very powerful) and then
a function added to `flyspell-generic-check-word-predicate' (AFAIU).  I
once wrote an addition for AUCTeX (tex-ispell.el) which extends
`ispell-tex-skip-alists' for many LaTeX packages but had hard times
making it work with flyspell as well, skipping multi-line text portions
was something I couldn't solve for flyspell, e.g.:

\begin{verbatim}
Please skip the entire text in this environment.
\end{verbatim}

Best, Arash