Re: Grammar checking

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Grammar checking
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:02:18 +0000

Why would it be necessary to package it? It's a Java app, you can download it from here:

https://languagetool.org/download/LanguageTool-stable.zip

and run it everywhere (provided you have a JVM installed, of course).

I am not saying it is necessary, just that it would be more convenient if I wouldn't have to manually set it up and keep it up to date.

That's true. I guess the reason why distros package only a few Java apps is that the "added value" would be minimal, and the cost non-negligible (bandwidth and disk space). E.g. Debian packages only about 100 Java apps, and if you subtract from that number the compilers, parser generators, linters, build tools, etc., the number is probably about 30.