Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?

From: Rudolf Schlatte
Subject: Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:54:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> We should instead fix yaml-ts-mode by providing a proper
> fill-paragraph-function for it.  No one said that the default
> text-mode one will do TRT.

Quoting yaml.org: “YAML is a human-friendly data serialization language
for all programming languages.”  (See https://yaml.org/spec/1.2.2/ for
all the gory details.)  Both whitespace and line breaks are semantically
meaningful.

One meaningful behavior for `fill-paragraph' could be to allow it only
within YAML flowed blocks and flow scalars (see
https://yaml-multiline.info):

    script: |
      # this block cannot be refilled.
      apt-get -y update
      apt-get -y install my-necessary-package
      The above script updates the system and installs a necessary
      package.

      This is a second line, where we give more information We had to
      leave an empty line in the yaml file to get a line break.
    comment: "This is a double-quoted flow scalar.
      We have to escape line breaks like this:\
      All other line breaks in the string
      are read as spaces."