Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?

From: Daniel Fleischer
Subject: Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:20:55 +0200

Ongaro [2023-03-11 Sat 18:14] wrote:

> If something is considered a "programming language" isn't defined by
> whether it has keywords. But we can ignore that, since yaml has quite a
> few keywords (e.g. see yaml-font-lock-keywords or others which are not...

If we look at font lock definitions, org-mode also highlights various
constructs; it doesn't mean it's a programming language.

> Also not true. If you happen to use some of the keywords like "yes", you
> have to mind to quote it if you actually meant the string "yes" not a
> boolean value of true. Of course that is exactly where having a mode
> which highlights these keywords helps.

Please point out where in the YAML spec "yes" is used as a boolean. And
again, usefulness of highlighting different objects does not mean it's a
programming language.

--
Daniel