Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?

From: Randy Taylor
Subject: Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 03:13:07 +0000

On Monday, March 20th, 2023 at 08:07, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 01:52:47 +0000
>
> > From: Randy Taylor dev@rjt.dev
> > Cc: rms@gnu.org, Romanos Skiadas rom.skiad@gmail.com, philipk@posteo.net,
> > emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > Eli, do you have any comments?
>

> Nothing substantial, no.
>
> > The general consensus seems to be that yaml-ts-mode should inherit from
> > prog-mode instead of
> > text-mode.
> > The arguments in favour make sense to me.
>

> That's not my impression. My impression is that there are arguments
> both ways, and therefore the original decision of having it in
> textmodes still stands. The arguments to the contrary were not strong
> enough to justify the move, IMO.

Fair enough.

I originally made yaml-ts-mode inherit from text-mode because the already
existing yaml-mode package in MELPA does, and because I was under the
impression that prog-mode was meant only for programming languages (as the
docstring states). It has since come to my attention that there is not such a
strict requirement for deriving from prog-mode, but rather that folks who
customize prog-mode would want those customizations applying to the derived
mode as well. As many others have stated (for various reasons), I think
yaml-ts-mode makes more sense deriving from prog-mode than text-mode (assuming
there are no negative consequences of doing so, but I can't think of any).