Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 18:33:35 +0200

On 05/03/2023 17:57, Helmut Eller wrote:
On Sun, Mar 05 2023, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

On 05/03/2023 11:59, Helmut Eller wrote:
I think that it's a bad idea to add language specific commands to xref.
The next thing is that we have commands for jump-to-variable and
jump-to-constant and jump-to-macro ...
It would be better to leave those commands in the language specific
mode
with the C-c prefix.
Is it still a problem if the command applies to a lot (most) of languages?
It still creates this problem: as a user I don't know which command to
use, the more specific or the more general or both.

When you need a declaration, use xref-find-declarations, and otherwise, xref-find-definitions, I guess? Spencer, who started this thread, apparently had a use case where he needs to "jump to interface".

I'm not sure if "definitions" should, in general, include "declarations". But we probably have included them up to now, at least as far as the etags backend is concerned.