Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 21:04:17 +0000

On Sun, Mar 5, 2023, 20:40 Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
On 05/03/2023 22:32, João Távora wrote:
> To clarify, i think the thin commands and the keybinds should be in the
> major modes, but these commands should be thin and use xref as a
> library. And the backend should be Eglot's,  if it happens to be
> managing the buffer via LSP, else out can be whatever the major modes
> sets up.

xref-find-declarations should be bound by major modes? Which modes?

No, you misunderstand. I wrote "commands and keybinds should be in the major mode". Xref-find-declarations should not exist, because declaration is not a universal thing common to all languages. That was Helmut's point AFAIU, and i agree with it.

Which modes? The ones where "declaration" is a thing.

IOW xref should try to stay language-agnostic, but provide common framework for language-specific things like major modes to reach backends like Eglot or anything else

Mind you the same point made for xref can be made about LSP, language-agnostic on paper, but many a language-specific concept poorly disguised in there. But I see no reason to copy that flaw.

João